Horses, Rescues
Comment 1

Meet ‘Holiday Spirit’…

In early december, I became aware of a miniature stallion at risk at the New Holland Auction in PA. Though at the time I thought surely someone would adopt him… it turns out he was out of time. I had to step up. As fortune would have it, I instantly had a crew willing to drive (9 hours each way) down to get him, as I was out of town for a meeting. I returned home in time to get a stall with a run-out ready for the little guy. He arrived the evening of Dec 15th…my mom’s birthday!

What a joy he is! Cute as a button and a very sweet temperment…

The first challenge was keeping him adequately quarantined from my other horses as there was some question about a strangles exposure. Its been over two weeks now…so far, so good.

My Vet came out to see him shortly after he arrived to check him over. She thought he was likely around 15 years old and in reasonably good condition. He has something going on with his skin…he is extremely itchy and is losing lots of hair. She thinks it might be a recent lice infestation, though we did not find any nits. We made a plan for the next month or so for vaccines and gelding, before he can join the main herd safely. He is tolerating solitary confinement very well.

His feet were not in good condition…thrush and necrotic frogs in all but one foot, lots and lots of false sole and long walls. Poor thing was walking on snowballs! I trimmed him cautiously as I am somewhat concerned about a history laminitis given his age and breed. But even the modest trim he got made a big difference in how he moved. I will keep at it with trims every two weeks and agressive thrush treatment. Of course I am photodocumenting his progress and will post them in a separate entry.

My dear friend and animal communicator, Sheila Ryan, was up last weekend and checked him over for me. Seems like he was a well cared for and loved pet for many years, was ridden by a child and has some show experience. He told her he was separated from his family by a large storm (Katrina???). Physically he was in good shape except for the itchy skin and some back discomfort related to his unbalanced feet. During his session with Sheila, he kept staring at my mini cart which was at the end of the hall, so I got out an old harness and hooked him up…yes, just like that…and off he went. You should have seen the look of joy in his eyes as he trotted down the road with us. We kept his first drive very short (less than 10 minutes) as I was concerned about his fitness level, but boy, was he a cool little driving horse!
So we’re off on another adventure. Will post details as they develope. This little guy will be up for adoption in the spring, once his rehab is complete.
Happy New Year!

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s